Ultimate Compliance Comparison
ASD Essential 8 versus FedRamp
Explore the differences between ASD Essential 8 and FedRamp.
Never use spreadsheets again for compliance mapping
Explore and contrast ASD Essential 8 and FedRamp
The ASD Essential 8 and FedRamp are two security frameworks used to protect digital systems from cyber threats. The ASD Essential 8 is an Australian framework that provides guidance to organizations on how to secure their systems, while FedRamp is a US-based framework that provides a standardized approach to security assessment, authorization, and continuous monitoring for cloud products and services. Both frameworks provide guidance on how to secure systems, but the ASD Essential 8 focuses more on prevention, while FedRamp focuses more on monitoring and response. The ASD Essential 8 includes specific security controls, while FedRamp provides a more general approach to security. Both frameworks are important for organizations to ensure their systems are secure and compliant with security regulations.
What is ASD Essential 8?
The ASD Essential 8 is a set of cybersecurity strategies designed to help organizations protect their systems and data from malicious cyber activity. The eight strategies are: Application Control, Patching Applications, Patching Operating Systems, Controlled Use of Administrative Privileges, Boundary Defense, Data Protection, Account Monitoring and Control, and Secure Configuration. Each strategy is designed to reduce the risk of malicious cyber activity and to help organizations maintain a secure IT environment. Application Control helps organizations manage the applications that are installed on their systems, and patching applications and operating systems helps organizations stay up to date on security patches. Controlled use of administrative privileges helps organizations limit access to privileged accounts, while boundary defense helps organizations protect their systems from external threats. Data protection helps organizations protect their sensitive data, while account monitoring and control helps organizations monitor and control user accounts. Finally, secure configuration helps organizations ensure that their systems are configured securely. By implementing the ASD Essential 8, organizations can reduce the risk of malicious cyber activity and maintain a secure IT environment.
What is FedRamp?
FedRAMP (Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program) is a government-wide program that provides a standardized approach to security assessment, authorization, and continuous monitoring for cloud products and services. It was created by the US government to provide a unified approach to security and compliance for cloud services. The program is managed by the General Services Administration (GSA) and overseen by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). It is designed to reduce the cost, time, and complexity of security and compliance for cloud services. It provides a set of security standards and processes that cloud service providers must follow in order to be authorized to host government data. The program also provides a process for continuous monitoring of cloud services to ensure that they remain secure and compliant.
A Comparison Between ASD Essential 8 and FedRamp
1. Both are government-mandated security frameworks that require organizations to adopt specific security controls to protect their systems and data.
2. Both frameworks require organizations to develop and maintain a security program that includes risk management, security awareness training, and incident response plans.
3. Both frameworks require organizations to establish and maintain a secure environment for their systems and data.
4. Both frameworks require organizations to perform regular security assessments and audits.
5. Both frameworks require organizations to document their security processes and procedures.
6. Both frameworks require organizations to have a process for responding to security incidents.
7. Both frameworks require organizations to have a process for monitoring and responding to security threats.
8. Both frameworks require organizations to have a process for reporting security incidents and breaches.
The Key Differences Between ASD Essential 8 and FedRamp
1. ASD Essential 8 is specific to Australia, while FedRAMP is applicable to the United States.
2. ASD Essential 8 focuses on the prevention of cyber attacks, while FedRAMP is focused on the security of cloud services.
3. ASD Essential 8 requires organizations to implement eight security controls, while FedRAMP requires organizations to meet a set of security requirements.
4. ASD Essential 8 is applicable to government agencies and contractors, while FedRAMP is applicable to cloud service providers and government agencies.
5. ASD Essential 8 requires organizations to obtain certification from the Australian Signals Directorate, while FedRAMP requires organizations to obtain authorization from the US government.
Hear from world-renowned GRC analyst Michael Rasmussen about 6clicks and why it's breakthrough approach is winning
Get up and running with 6clicks in just a matter of hours.
'Push-down' standards to teams
'Push' your standard templates, controls, and risk libraries to your teams.
'Roll up' analytics for reporting
Roll-up analytics for consolidated reporting across your teams.
Our customers have spoken.
They genuinely love 6clicks.
"The best cyber GRC platform for businesses and advisors."
David Simpson | CyberCX
"We chose 6clicks not only for our clients, but also our internal use”
Chief Risk Officer | Publically Listed
"We use Hub & Spoke globally for our cyber compliance program. Love it."
Head of Compliance | Fortune 500
"The 6clicks solution simplifies and strengthens risk, compliance, and control processes across entities and can grow and adapt as the organization changes and evolves."
GRC 20/20 Research LLC