Ultimate Compliance Comparison
PCI-DSS versus UK Cyber Essentials
Explore the differences between PCI-DSS and UK Cyber Essentials.
Never use spreadsheets again for compliance mapping
Explore and contrast PCI-DSS and UK Cyber Essentials
PCI-DSS and UK Cyber Essentials are both security standards that help organizations protect their data and systems from cyber attacks. The main difference between the two is that PCI-DSS is a more comprehensive standard, covering a wide range of technical and operational requirements, while UK Cyber Essentials is more focused on the basics of cyber security, such as patching, user access control, and malware protection. Both standards are important for organizations looking to protect their data and systems from cyber threats.
What is PCI-DSS?
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) is a set of security standards designed to ensure that any organization that processes, stores, or transmits credit card information maintains a secure environment. The standard was created by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SSC) and is used by merchants and financial institutions to protect cardholder data. The PCI-DSS is a comprehensive set of requirements that address the security of cardholder data, including physical security, network security, access control, encryption, and authentication. The standard is designed to protect cardholder data from unauthorized use, theft, or disclosure. It also requires organizations to regularly monitor and test their networks for vulnerabilities and ensure that their systems are compliant with the PCI-DSS.
What is UK Cyber Essentials?
UK Cyber Essentials is a certification scheme that helps organisations protect themselves against the most common cyber threats. It is a government-backed scheme that provides a clear statement of the basic controls all organisations should have in place to protect their systems, networks and data. The scheme covers five key areas: boundary firewalls and internet gateways, secure configuration, user access control, malware protection and patch management. The certification is designed to help organisations of all sizes to protect themselves against cyber attacks and demonstrate that they have taken the necessary steps to protect their data. It is also a requirement for many government contracts, so it is important for organisations to have in place.
A Comparison Between PCI-DSS and UK Cyber Essentials
1. Both frameworks are designed to help organizations protect their networks and systems from cyber threats.
2. Both frameworks require organizations to have a secure configuration, access control, and regular vulnerability scanning.
3. Both frameworks require organizations to have a security policy and procedures in place.
4. Both frameworks require organizations to have a risk assessment process in place.
5. Both frameworks require organizations to have an incident response plan.
6. Both frameworks require organizations to have an employee training program in place.
The Key Differences Between PCI-DSS and UK Cyber Essentials
1. PCI-DSS is a global standard for payment card security, while Cyber Essentials is a UK government-backed certification scheme.
2. PCI-DSS is a comprehensive standard that covers all aspects of payment card security, while Cyber Essentials focuses on five key areas of security.
3. PCI-DSS requires organizations to undergo an audit by a qualified assessor, while Cyber Essentials can be self-assessed.
4. PCI-DSS requires organizations to maintain compliance on an ongoing basis, while Cyber Essentials is a one-time certification.
5. PCI-DSS applies to all organizations that process payment cards, while Cyber Essentials applies to all UK organizations, regardless of size.
Hear from world-renowned GRC analyst Michael Rasmussen about 6clicks and why it's breakthrough approach is winning
Get up and running with 6clicks in just a matter of hours.
'Push-down' standards to teams
'Push' your standard templates, controls, and risk libraries to your teams.
'Roll up' analytics for reporting
Roll-up analytics for consolidated reporting across your teams.
Our customers have spoken.
They genuinely love 6clicks.
"The best cyber GRC platform for businesses and advisors."
David Simpson | CyberCX
"We chose 6clicks not only for our clients, but also our internal use”
Chief Risk Officer | Publically Listed
"We use Hub & Spoke globally for our cyber compliance program. Love it."
Head of Compliance | Fortune 500
"The 6clicks solution simplifies and strengthens risk, compliance, and control processes across entities and can grow and adapt as the organization changes and evolves."
GRC 20/20 Research LLC