Ultimate Compliance Comparison
PCI-DSS versus ASD IRAP
Explore the differences between PCI-DSS and ASD IRAP.
Never use spreadsheets again for compliance mapping
Explore and contrast PCI-DSS and ASD IRAP
PCI-DSS and ASD IRAP are two security standards that organizations must adhere to in order to protect their data and systems. PCI-DSS is a set of standards developed by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council to protect credit card data, while ASD IRAP is the Australian Signals Directorate's Information Security Registered Assessors Program, which is designed to protect government and commercial data. Both standards require organizations to implement a range of security measures, such as encryption, access control, and regular security monitoring. However, the PCI-DSS standard is more focused on protecting credit card data, while the ASD IRAP standard is more comprehensive and includes additional requirements such as business continuity planning, incident response, and risk management.
What is PCI-DSS?
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) is an information security standard for organizations that handle credit card information. It was created to increase controls around cardholder data to reduce credit card fraud. The standard is managed by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SSC). It is designed to help organizations that process card payments maintain a secure environment and protect cardholder data. The standard consists of 12 core requirements that must be met in order to be compliant. These requirements cover areas such as security management, access control, encryption, and vulnerability management. Organizations must demonstrate compliance to the standard in order to accept payments from major credit card companies. Failure to comply can result in fines and other penalties.
What is ASD IRAP?
ASD IRAP (Information Technology Risk Assessment Protocol) is a standard developed by the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) to provide guidance for organizations to assess their information technology (IT) security posture. It provides a comprehensive framework to assess and manage risk, and is based on the principles of the ASDs Information Security Manual. ASD IRAP provides organizations with a structured approach to identify, assess and manage IT security risks. It is designed to help organizations reduce their risk of cyber attack and data breaches, and meet their legal, regulatory and contractual obligations. It can be applied to any organization, from small businesses to large enterprises. ASD IRAP focuses on the following areas: risk identification, risk assessment, risk management, and risk monitoring. It provides a detailed process to identify, assess and manage IT security risks, as well as a comprehensive set of tools and resources to support organizations in implementing the standard.
A Comparison Between PCI-DSS and ASD IRAP
1. Both are security standards designed to protect sensitive data and reduce the risk of cyberattacks.
2. Both require organizations to implement security controls to protect their networks and data.
3. Both require organizations to regularly assess and monitor their security posture.
4. Both require organizations to have a documented security policy.
5. Both require organizations to have a plan in place for responding to security incidents.
6. Both require organizations to have regular security awareness training for employees.
The Key Differences Between PCI-DSS and ASD IRAP
1. PCI-DSS is a set of security standards developed by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council for organizations that process, store or transmit credit card information. ASD IRAP is the Australian Governments Information Security Registered Assessors Program, which provides independent security assessments of ICT systems used by government agencies.
2. PCI-DSS is focused on protecting credit card data and ensuring that organizations meet the necessary security requirements to do so. ASD IRAP is focused on assessing the security of government systems and ensuring they meet the security requirements of the Australian Government Information Security Manual.
3. PCI-DSS is a set of requirements that must be met in order for an organization to be compliant. ASD IRAP is an assessment process that provides independent security assessments of ICT systems used by government agencies.
4. PCI-DSS is specific to the payment card industry, while ASD IRAP is specific to the Australian government.
Hear from world-renowned GRC analyst Michael Rasmussen about 6clicks and why it's breakthrough approach is winning
Get up and running with 6clicks in just a matter of hours.
'Push-down' standards to teams
'Push' your standard templates, controls, and risk libraries to your teams.
'Roll up' analytics for reporting
Roll-up analytics for consolidated reporting across your teams.
Our customers have spoken.
They genuinely love 6clicks.
"The best cyber GRC platform for businesses and advisors."
David Simpson | CyberCX
"We chose 6clicks not only for our clients, but also our internal use”
Chief Risk Officer | Publically Listed
"We use Hub & Spoke globally for our cyber compliance program. Love it."
Head of Compliance | Fortune 500
"The 6clicks solution simplifies and strengthens risk, compliance, and control processes across entities and can grow and adapt as the organization changes and evolves."
GRC 20/20 Research LLC